Acupuncture and dry needling involve the insertion of fine needles
into specific points on the body. At Physio for All, it is mainly used
for pain relief and restoration of function.
- Acupuncture is one of many techniques used within Physiotherapy for the management of pain, soft tissue injuries and as a means of enhancing the body’s own healing chemicals to aid recovery and enhance rehabilitation.
- It is believed that acupuncture enhances pain modulation via stimulation of the brain and spinal cord to produce natural pain relieving chemicals, such as endorphins, melatonin to promote sleep and serotonin to promote wellbeing.
- These chemicals assist the body’s healing process, and can be used as a precursor to other physiotherapy techniques.
Acupuncture is mostly known for pain relief. This is one of our treatment modalities which can be very useful to treat muscle and joint pain such as back and neck pain, pelvic pain, pregnancy related back and pelvic girdle pain, tension headaches, knee pain, shoulder pain, fibromyalgia and chronic pain conditions.
- Acupuncture involves the use of single use, pre-sterilised, disposable needles of varying sizes that pierce the skin at specific acupuncture points.
- A number of needles may be used at each treatment and these are typically left in position for about 20-30 minutes before being removed.
- Acupuncture is not a pain free modality; the needle sites can produce an aching sensation and this is called ‘De qi’.
- The acupuncture points used will be determined by the therapist, after a thorough examination of the patient. Clinicians may use traditional acupuncture points only, trigger points or a combination of both.
- Patients will generally require about 3 sessions before the therapist can be certain of an effect, though some people may show immediate effects after a treatment.
- The effect of acupuncture is cumulative and pain relief builds up as the treatment progresses.
Very safe in comparison to other modalities used in medicine.
The clinic uses sterile, single use needles only so there is no risk of infection and clinicians are highly trained to follow the strictest hygiene standards.
Serious side effects are very rare; less than 1 in 10,000 treatments.
Your physiotherapist will run through a detailed history and examination to assess your suitability to acupuncture. You also need to alert the physiotherapist to any medical conditions you may suffer from such as diabetes, heart problems and low blood pressure.`
Dry needling uses acupuncture needles to relax muscle knots or release myofascial trigger points. It is a clean and safe technique that can alleviate myofascial pain, muscle tightness and headaches.
It is a scientifically proven Western technique. A needle is inserted into a tight band of muscle which can cause brief localised discomfort with minimal side effects but is immediately effective.
It works by changing the way the body senses the pain and deactivates trigger points (knots). It does this by mechanically disrupting the dysfunctional activity and stimulating healing deep within the muscle.
At Physio for All we have physiotherapists who have undergone post graduate training in acupuncture and dry needling and are registered with the Acupuncture Association of the Chartered Physiotherapists AACP
Acupuncture is one of many services that we offer our patients and is applied as part of an overall treatment plan to manage symptoms. Your physiotherapist will often incorporate other treatment techniques, education and exercises to help with your condition.
What our patients say
My entire experience with Physio4all has been superb. From initial enquiry, to the first consultation and the subsequent sessions, everything was extremely professional and friendly. Christine put together a great plan for me and supplied me with constant support throughout the rehabilitation process. Her and her staff also went above and beyond in assisting me to supply the insurance company as well as the surgeon with all the information they requested throughout the process. All in all, a great experience and would wholeheartedly recommend them. Taufik
I had not been to Physio4all for a few years and a bad sciatica made me make the journey again to Webbs road; the staff is welcoming, friendly and very professional; special thanks to Adriano who put me back on my two legs in only one session plus loads of advices; superb performance!
Comparing my recovery to unfortunate friends who had a similar ACL and MCL skiing injury, I have had far smoother and faster results , which I believe is fully attributable to the regular, motivational and professional treatment from Physio For Al. Thank you so much!
I had some physio sessions both for post-natal perineal rehab after my second child and during my pregnancy when expecting my third child to relief me from back. With each session I felt better. Christine is a lovely practitioner who knows the woman body inside out, truly cares and is the expert. I would 100% recommend her and her practice for any pregnancy post-natal treatment.
I’ve been using Physio For All for 17 years, prior to that I’d never used physio. It sorted out issues I’d had for 30 years. All the therapists have been outstanding. I recommend you all the time! Thank you for your excellent and caring service.
My Physio has been excellent working with me through a long rehab post-surgery. I am now able to participate in sports at the same level as before injury. This is far surpassing even my own expectations I wholeheartedly recommend Physio For All to anyone who wishes to be able to return to full, normal activity following injury.
I had incontinence issues after given birth due to a very weak pelvic floor. Things I could not do anymore including running and I thought that would be the case for the rest of my life. After a couple of months of treatment things have now dramatically improved. Thanks a lot Christine for all your help!
I have had ongoing back, shoulder and neck pain. My treatment at Physio For All has taught me exercises to strengthen my muscles and relieve pain and I have felt a huge improvement. I think the staff are excellent, experienced, sympathetic and extremely helpful. I have recommended Physio for All to many friends. I now come regularly for a massage to help prevent the build-up of tension.